Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Buttermilk Pie

Awhile ago I asked the boyf, if I could make you anything in the world, what would it be? His response: Buttermilk Pie. Hm... I had never even heard of such a thing, or made a pie! So I figured I'd give it a try. I got his mom's recipe and surprised him with the pie this weekend! Yes, it is a pie with no fruit. Weird, I know. But it's pretty delicious! It is kind of like a vanilla custard pie. Apparently it's popular in Texas, where his mom is from?
It's actually a really simple recipe. And I made a decorative crust for my very first pie! I think it was a success. Except I would advise waiting about half an hour for it to cool before slicing. I was too excited and sliced it early, and it was a little goopy. Still delicious though!

Buttermilk Pie

1/2 cup Margarine
2 cups Sugar
3 Eggs
3 Tbsp Flour
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 Unbaked 9-inch pie shell (+ 1 extra for decoration?)


Cream together margarine and sugar. Mix in eggs and flour and beat till fluffy. Fold in Buttermilk and vanilla. Pour mixture into pie shell and bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

See, Easy as Pie! Enjoy!

2 comments: