Tuesday, February 16, 2010

s'more lovin'

So since the boyf wasn't here for V-day, I had a baking date with my friend Faith. We made delicious s'more cupcakes and heart-shaped cakes! 
How awesome does the icing look? Piping marshmallow fluff makes cupcakes look amazing and it's super easy! You better believe all my cupcakes will look like this from now on. So it's basically a french vanilla cupcake with graham crackers mixed in. A Hershey's kiss for the middle, and marshmallow fluff frosting! I'm so proud of myself, I love them!!

S'more Cupcakes

Found: here

Cupcakes:
1 package French vanilla cake mix
2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups water
3 egg whites
24 milk chocolate candy kisses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, water and egg whites. Beat for 2 minutes at high speed of an electric mixer.
Divide batter evenly among paper lined cups, filling about 2/3 full. Place a chocolate kiss in each cupcake, pressing in lightly. (I pushed mine all the way to the bottom and they stuck to the paper wrapping, so keep them in the middle?) Spoon 1 teaspoon graham cracker crumbs onto each cupcake. (optional, I didn't want it to mess up my frosting)
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 to 25 minutes

Frosting:
2 sticks of butter, room temperature (I forgot, but def is important)
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
16 oz. tub of marshmallow fluff

Cream the butter (I love my Kitchenaid*, thanks Ang!) on high until it's light and fluffy. Add the confectioner's sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat until fluffy each time. Beat in the vanilla until incorporated. Then dump in the fluff and mix it up until its all creamy. Transfer to pastry bag and pipe onto cupcake! (You can also use a ziploc), but the boyf got me piping bags and tips for Christmas, so I finally used them!! Top with more graham cracker crumbs and a piece of Hershey's chocolate.

*I was a little worried since I used the butter straight out of the fridge that it wouldn't ever get creamy enough to pipe. I had just about given up, and was going to ice them regularly. But the next second, it was like magic, the mixer completely changed the icing into this creamy, light, fluffy icing!!! I'm in love.

While I made the s'mores, Faith made super cute cakes with her heart-shaped pans! She was a great Valentine!


I packed up the cupcakes in their little home (my awesome carrier I got for Christmas from the best mom ever), and took them to work! They were a huge hit and hopefully they will stay fresh until the boyf gets home tonight! 

2 comments:

  1. aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!! this is the most adorable post ever! I love it!

    let's bake soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i am in love. those look to die for. not sure if i can find marshmellow fluff out here in the middle east..but i am sure as heck going to look now!

    ReplyDelete