Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes

I made these for a work BBQ, and I figured they'd be perfect because they are so summer-y. I also have been dying to try the two-tone frosting so I went for it! It was a lot harder than I expected and I ran out of icing, so next time I'll probably double the icing. 
Taste: The cupcake has a perfect hint of orange, and the icing tastes EXACTLY like a creamsicle! They are amazing together
Texture: Mine were a little overbaked, but they would be great if they weren't. 
Would I make this again?: Yea, they are SO good!
Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
found: Amanda's Cookin'

Orange Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoons orange extract
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk

Orange Cream Frosting
1 brick (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
Orange food coloring

Heat oven to 350 F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners. 
In a medium bowl, whisk flour, 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt until blended. In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs, orange zest, vanilla, and orange extract until blended. Beat in 1 cup vanilla sugar. Beat in oil, then buttermilk, until blended. On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until blended. 

Spoon about 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup.Bake about 16-18 minutes? (The recipe said 25, but I checked them around 18 and they were completely overbaked already). So bake them until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.

For the Frosting (you might want to make a double batch if you are piping the icing, I ran out)Beat cream cheese, vanilla, orange extract and orange zest in a medium bowl with mixer on low speed to blend. Add confectioners’ sugar, a little at a time and beat until fluffy. Take out half the icing, and beat in orange food coloring to the other half. You could refrigerate a little if the icing is too runny (but I didn't). 

I used this method from Good Life Eats to pipe the two-tone frosting.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh love the icing! So glad you enjoyed these as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete